Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Goodbye, HBO

TV has always been a huge part of my life. I think of it as my onetime babysitter and the tool through which I learned everything from my social skills to my humor to my insignificance. I relish my pop culture knowledge and my ability to recall episodes of Cosby, Cheers, Married with Children, Family Ties, I Love Lucy, Newhart, The Andy Griffith Show, and many others. Without TV, I believe a huge part of who I am would be missing.

When we got married one of our first acts in establishing our new home was to have cable installed. I’d never had cable before and the ability to exponentially increase my TV channels made me giddy with anticipation. We spared no expense and went for the full spectrum of channels, including premium channels like Showtime and HBO.

Though we've lost most of the premium channels over the years, my one standard has always been HBO. With The Sopranos and Sex and the City, Entourage and Big Love, Flight of the Conchords and Curb Your Enthusiasm, HBO has always been one of my favorite channels. But, this year is transforming into one of change for us. We’re reviewing everything from where we live to how we live and, after 9 years, we have decided to try living without HBO.

With the ability to stream shows online, the decision to cancel HBO was not as difficult as I had envisioned. Perhaps my anticipation of change is making me more open to it? After all, this may just be the first of many adjustments we make in the near future and, though there is a part of me that remembers the joy I felt the first time I held HBO in my hands, in my house, in Seattle, I’m truly beginning to enjoy this process of purging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
myfreecopyright.com registered & protected