Thursday, March 31, 2011

Travel Writer?

A few weeks ago I decided to take my first steps toward writing professionally.  I was exploring one of my favourite travel sites, Bootsnall, when I saw their link to 'write for us'.  I read through the information and instructions and decided to submit a pitch.  I really didn't expect to hear back from them, their site basically says that if you don't hear back within 3 weeks you probably won't, but I wound up hearing back within only a couple days.  To my amazement, rather than just an outright decline they were giving me an opportunity to expand on my pitch by submitting a partial draft.

It took me almost two weeks to write my partial draft but I submitted it today and have just heard back.  Although it was a rejection, the feedback was positive; they said the writing was good but it wasn't a fit for a 'feature' though they would be 'happy' to publish it as a guest post, including a short bio along with a link to my blog.

For my first foray into professional writing, I think it's a pretty good start.  I plan to finish the piece and submit it as a guest post.  I've got a few other ideas that I may pitch to them as well and will shop around for other sites also looking for travel articles.  I'm pretty excited about this new direction for myself and really looking forward to exploring it further.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

A travel writer indeed!! I'm so excited for your journey into professional writing! YOU RULE!!

Andy Ernst said...

I think it's a wonderful start and an admirable goal. Writing, as I'm sure you have found, isn't as easy as one would think. Fortunately for me, I write more for a therapeutic benefit rather than for my livelihood. If I had a need to rely on my writing talents and speed alone I would surely starve within the first year!

When you have a guest post available for viewing please let me know where it is to be published for I would love to peruse more of your ramblings.

Jill said...

Awesome Des! Way to go.

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

How perfect a job for you would that be!? Im excited to read your published work.

Wright Family Fun!! said...

Desi you are an amazing woman! I wish you the best of luck! Love you!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
myfreecopyright.com registered & protected