Sunday, May 03, 2009

My Oh Maya

I was in Washington, DC this past week, traveling for business, when the opportunity to attend an event hosted by Maya Angelou was presented to me. A fundraiser for the DC public charter schools in her name, this event was a way to honor the "Heroes and Sheroes" involved at MAPCS, both students and staff.

It was AMAZING to be in Dr. Angelou's presence and it was a very inspiring experience. Dr. Angelou began the night with a rendition of "This Little Light Of Mine" interspersed with bits of her poetry and ended the night with a fantastic story about her youth and an inspirational speech about "her kids."

The night also introduced me to Patti Austin. Ms. Austin accepted an award on behalf of her Godfather, Quincy Jones. She sang a couple songs, too, and brought the house down. I'll be adding some Patti Austin to my collection in short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
myfreecopyright.com registered & protected